Saturday, May 28, 2011

Cold Season Bed

Originally, I was only planning to build two raised beds and leave the cold season veggies alone.  But once I got started, I just had to do a third.  I had already planted some store-bought starts of brussel sprouts, cabbage and broccoli at the end of March, but the brussels were practically gone to the bugs and the cabbage and broccoli weren't doing so hot, either (in part due to my experiment with homemade soap and water insecticide...).  I had some celery and onions from last year that were still going strong, and I had already planted carrot and lettuce seeds.  I had also thrown in some brussel sprout, cabbage and broccoli seeds just to see what would happen.  Nonetheless, I pulled everything out and tilled the soil, made my raised bed, added three inches of compost and other soil amendments and replanted what was still alive after being pulled up and living in "transitional soil" for about two days.  Here's how it looked on April 15:


You can't really see it in the pics below, but there are tons of seedlings all over the place.  I've thinned them out and left one unknown brassica (brussel, cabbage or broccoli) in each square holding a cabbage or broccoli, and I've left a few carrots here and there.  I think it's kind of funny and ironic.  

Besides the overwhelming bug problem this year (mostly slugs), everything's doing quite well.  Here's what I have growing:

In the very back, I have left over red globe and walla walla onions that I never picked last summer (it was a horrible year for gardening and nothing really grew well).  Next, some broccoli starts--two of which I bought and planted on April 7, 2011 (the other two are from the March planting).  The next row has four cabbages and I'm not sure if they'll do anything more than grow more and more leaves.  Next, I placed some garlic, rosemary from a pot and celery overwintered from last year.  After that is more garlic.  In front of that are my carrots, then the next row has white bunching onions and two more broccoli starts.  The last (front) row has some spinach and white bunching onions.  Oh yes, and by the way, I've harvested four broccoli heads already--they didn't get too big, but they were starting to bolt.  I think next year I'll have to roll up the sides of the hoop house earlier because it probably just got too warm in there for them.

I'm really excited to see how the garlic does.  Again, because last year's weather was HORRIBLE, I didn't pick my garlic and let it keep on growing.  It was in two large pots and multiplied fiercely.  So, I carefully dug it up and divided it for planting in my raised bed.  It appears to be doing very well, so we'll see if I get anything!!

Here's how the bed looks now:









No comments:

Post a Comment